Monday, April 25, 2011

Willie Don's Last Visit to Jimmy's

I strolled outside before and caught the Schaefer motorcade's visit to Fells Point. The motorcade was about 25 minutes late. That may have turned out to be a good thing in that the initial crowd waiting for Schaefer outside of Jimmy's Restaurant - about 30 people - climbed to about 100 by the time the entourage arrived.

Spotted were Senator Barbara Mikulski and Schaefer loyalists Lainy Lebow-Sachs, Mark Wasserman, and Mike Golden. The crowded chanted "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" and gave the former mayor and governor a number of spontaneous cheers.

The atmosphere was positive, if a little circus-like - certainly appropriate for the man and the circumstances. I noticed a total of three helicopters hovering in the vicinity at different times.

Finally, when the motorcade prepared to leave, I heard Golden say, "We don't want to be late," then gestured towards the back of the hearse and quipped, "We sure don't want to make him mad."




1 comment:

  1. I wish I had been paying attention to politics during this guy's time so that I understood the send-off he's getting. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it -- just that I cannot fully appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete