Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Michael Steele Gets It...Right???

It’s become something of a rite of American politics for Michael Steele to make bad decisions which beget adverse consequences.

As RNC Chairman, Steele installed his crony Belinda Cook in a $15,000 a month make-work job (on top of a $25,000 “signing bonus” for a job most people would kill for without it) on the staff planning the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. Complaints about nepotism and high living on the part of Ms. Cook and her aides/relatives played a role in Steele’s ouster after just a single term at the head of the party, despite presiding over historic wins in the 2010 elections.

Then, Steele waded into the contentious National Committeewoman’s race between Nicolee Ambrose and Audrey Scott. He wrote an obsequious letter praising Mrs. Scott and also paid for an ad in the convention program touting her candidacy. As Steele interjected himself into the race, alienating Ambrose’s supporters in the process, other senior politicos – Bob Ehrlich among them – wisely chose to stay out of it.  

Well, we all know how that turned out.

Now, there are news reports that Michael Steele and Bill Clinton’s house apologist, Lanny Davis, have partnered to form a consulting business called “Purple Nation Solutions.” This announcement has drawn a flurry of criticism in the media. Indeed, one observer quipped, ““Launching a consulting firm is something people with great connections and zero skills do all the time.”

I have no idea whether the Steele-Davis venture will succeed. Time will tell. But, it seems that the launch of Purple Nation Solutions has indirectly resulted in at least one positive outcome.

Sources tell me that Michael Steele has communicated to MD GOP officials his intention to close his state elections account and focus on the new business.

In other words, he’s out of Maryland politics – for now, at least.

Before these developments, Steele’s name had been touted as a possible candidate for governor in 2014. As I blogged previously, this would have been a mistake if not an outright disaster for Maryland Republicans. While Steele’s name recognition might have given him an edge in the primary, his baggage would have made him especially easy pickings for state Democrats, who could be expected to attack his skills as a manager in light of his rocky RNC tenure.

It’s time for the MD GOP to stop recycling figures from the past like Steele – a two-time loser in statewide elections – and to focus on developing the new generation of leaders.

Michael Steele is a decent guy. I wish him the best. But right now he’s where he needs to be: Far removed from Maryland’s political landscape. 

11 comments:

  1. By the way, take your anger out on the Criminal Governor in Office you putz. I get 20,000 hits a day to my website to your measly little rants and ponderings. What a moron, you think you know, but I now more than you know. I laugh at your thoughtless and mindless little renderings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, are you familiar with the concept of irony? Calling someone a "moron" when you yourself display an appalling lack of basic grammar skills would be a perfect example.

    I've never heard of your website, and suspect few others have, either, which is probably why you're taking out your anger and frustration by incoherently commenting on mine.

    As for my "renderings," well, I don't draw, so you must have me confused with someone else.

    You might want to hire a proofreader. An eighth grade education and a lobotomy might help, too.

    Best,

    RJC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard,
    You may want to change your sources because I know for a fact that Michael hasn't closed his account or expressed any intent for/against anything political to anyone. Did you ever consider confirming your information before publishing it? Can't you figure out his cell number so you may ask him directly?
    Regards,
    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I spoke with my source, who I trust, who verified what he told me again and walked me through the chain of events by which he acquired that knowledge. I don't doubt what you're saying. I just have contrary information from a credible source in which I feel confident.

    Further, I was told that Steele wants to use that campaign money to pay off some legal bills, something which - as the Paul Schurick situation demonstrated - he is legally allowed to do.

    Best,

    RJC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lie Richard. Your Resource is so far from the truth, I have the truth of the whole situation. Hows it feel to be on the outside looking in with Steffen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does it feel to be living in West Virginia, Jeff? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, I've been copying your postings and sending them to friends, Jeff. They're LOL, as am I. The grammatical errors and use of words to which you clearly don't understand the proper meaning (e. g. "resources," "renderings") is hilarious. Thanks for adding a dose of laughter to an already great
    day. Have a great evening, my West Virginia friend. RC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard,
    Michael wants to speak with you. If you don't have his cell, e-mail your number to me at marks@thousandmountains.com, and I'll text it to him.
    Regards,
    Mark.
    marks@thousandmountains.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, no offense, but I don't know who you are, and am reluctant to share my cellphone number with someone I do not know. Plus, I have been getting a lot of spam comments on my blog in light of the "influencer" thing, and am therefore unsure if this a legitimate request.

      If LG Steele wants to talk to me, I suggest three avenues:

      1) Ask him to drop me an email directly and I will reply with my number or call him directly.
      2) Have him send me a message through Facebook.
      3) Ask him to contact our mutual friend Nicolee Ambrose, and I will coordinate through her.

      RJC

      Delete
  9. Richard,
    You now have Michael's gmail address on your AOL account. Feel free to confirm information directly with him.
    Incidentally, I didn't ask for your cell number. I asked generically for a number which could well have been an office number. Besides, I offered that as an option I thought you wouldn't need because I thought a man with your sources and resources would have already known how to reach him.
    Before I forget, you may want to learn how to use Google. A simple search for my e-mail address would have told you everything you'd ever want to know about me and my extended family.
    Best,
    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, my cell phone is my phone number of record.

      If Steele wants to talk to me about what I accurately reported in my story, he can contact me directly. What I don't quite understand is why I would need to go through you and your contrivances in the event I did want to talk to him.

      RJC

      Delete