Monday, August 6, 2012

Martin O'Malley's Props to Anthony Brown

Two tipsters simultaneously forwarded to me the following email from Governor Martin O’Malley in praise of Lieutenant Governor Anthony Brown.

As I read through this, I’m struggling to determine what the purpose of it is.

Is it to demonstrate definitively that Brown is O’Malley’s designated favorite/successor for the 2014 nomination? Perhaps, but the wording seems deliberately vague. Case in point: “I urge Anthony to continue his public service and pursue the greatest possible level of public responsibility.” Encouraging someone to run does not equate to an affirmative endorsement.

Or, is Team O’Malley responding to an ask from the Lieutenant Governor as warmly yet diplomatically as possible?

Another question: Why is O'Malley doing this now?

I’ll leave it to you to figure all that out. This is the text of the email as I received it.

===============================

From: Martin O'Malley <campaign@martinomalley.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Subject: Anthony Brown

Dear Friend,

I consider myself fortunate for a number of reasons: the privilege to
serve the people of Maryland, the ability to make a real difference in
the lives of families, and the opportunity to move our great State
forward through difficult economic times.

I am also fortunate that I have had a true partner in governing from
the day I took office – your Lieutenant Governor, and my friend,
Anthony Brown. Anthony is an outstanding public servant, and I have
seen first-hand the results we’ve achieved becaused (sic) of Anthony’s
leadership on efforts to create jobs, improve healthcare, and make
college more affordable for more families.

No matter what lies ahead for Anthony in public service, I know that I
will be with him 100 percent, because I believe that our State, our
communities, and all Marylanders will benefit greatly with Anthony
bringing people together to work for our shared priorities.

As Lieutenant Governor, Anthony has pushed hard to get our economic
initiatives passed to protect our investments in education and job
creation. He is nationally recognized for his leadership on behalf of
our veterans, and he has developed groundbreaking new laws to protect
victims of domestic violence.

The challenges facing Maryland have not been easy, and our progress
would not have been possible without Anthony’s leadership and
determination. Together, we’ve made the largest investment in our
State’s history in public education, and Maryland’s public schools
have been ranked number one in the nation four years in a row.
Together, we have been able to maintain Maryland’s Triple A bond
rating. And together, we’ve been able to recover 65 percent of jobs
lost during the Great Recession and keep our unemployment rate more
than 15 percent below the national average.

Throughout all of these challenges, Anthony has been by my side every
step of the way. He has taken the lead on some of the most difficult
measures our administration has pursued, from expanding and improving
the delivery of health care and eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse in
Medicaid, to strengthening Maryland laws protecting neglected
children, to taking guns out of the hands of domestic abusers. He has
leveraged legislative experience, consensus-building skills, and
intelligence to pass many of our most critical priorities.

We have to work hard to make sure this progress continues well into
the future, and that our State continues to move forward. For these
reasons and more, I urge Anthony to continue his public service and
pursue the greatest possible level of public responsibility. He has
been my partner day in and day out, and he understands what needs to
be done to make sure our state moves forward, not back.

After nearly six years of working together, I know that Anthony
understands better than anyone how our government works, and more
importantly, how to ensure it works best to improve the lives of our
citizens. More than any other public official, Anthony Brown has my
complete trust in his ability to serve the best interests of Maryland.

Over the coming months, I will be working hard to make sure Maryland
benefits from Anthony’s continued leadership and that the progress we
have made together continues well into the future. I hope you will
join me in supporting Anthony in his commitment to build on the
progress we’ve made in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Martin O’Malley

P.S. Please take the time to visit www.AnthonyBrown.com to learn more
about Anthony’s story, his family, his military service, and the hard
work he’s doing every day to move Maryland forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment