Wednesday, October 31, 2012

They're Called Proofreaders...Get One

Conservative GOP State Senator Nancy Jacobs is challenging Democratic Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger for the Second Congressional District seat he now holds.

Trying to knock off an incumbent Democratic congressman in deep blue Maryland is no easy feat, especially in a district drawn to reelect Democrats in perpetuity. So, I’m not surprised that Senator Jacobs would enlist one of the party’s bigger names – former Governor Bob Ehrlich, himself a past holder of the same congressional seat for which Jacobs is now running – as she raises the funds needed to challenge an entrenched, five-term member of Congress.

But what surprises me is the fact that no one seems to be proofreading these things before they go out.

In addition to the crude and amateurish tone of the email – I guess “wildly liberal” is the opposite of “severely conservative” – it’s riddled with grammatical errors and typos. It reads almost as if it were written by a community college dropout or something.

Below is the text of the email unedited by me (except for the fact that I removed the hyperlinks included therein). I’m also happy to scan and send you a JPG copy of the original which was emailed to me – though I’m sure there are thousands of them sitting in people’s inboxes right now.

Look, I think Nancy Jacobs is a fine public servant and a decent candidate. But when Republicans in Maryland mess up the small things, they will never, to borrow a word from Governor Ehrlich, “convinces” independents and conservative-leaning Democrats that they can ever get the big things right.

================================

From the Desk of Governor Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr.

Dear Fellow Marylanders,

I don't write personal fundraising emails for other members of Maryland's Republicans very often , but the stakes are so high that I'm making this one exception. Elections have consequences and the 2nd Congressional District race to me is personal.

There isn't much time- Election Day is only 6 days away and Nancy really needs our help. You see, with the focus o this election on the White House and the U.S. Senate, I fear many may have forgotten how important it is to keep our conservative majority in the House.

My good friends, State Senator Nancy Jacobs, is engaged in one of the most fiercely competitive House races in the country this year and she urgently needs our help. You see, Nancy is running against a radically Liberal Congressman - Dutch Ruppersberger (D) who was a loyal Democrat under both Nancy Pelosi and Obama.

You know I would only ask you to support solid conservatives who will stand up for the Constitutional conservative values that you and I share - and Nancy Jacobsis one of us!

That's why liberals from across the country are pouring millions of dollars into this race. They believe this could be the one race that tips the scales and re-installs Pelosi as Speaker of the House.

But I'm convinces if we can raise the necessary resources in the final days of this campaign we can push this race into the win column and prevent Pelosi from becoming Speaker again.

Nancy urgently needs the help of conservatives like you and me across the nation to raise the resources to stay on the airwaves for the final days. So will you make an emergency contribution of $25, $50, $100, $250 or more to Nancy's campaign today?

The bottom line is that we need Nancy serving in the U.S. House to protect our cherished liberties and defend our values from the radical left. This is why I'm urgently asking you to support Nancy's campaign today with a donation of $25, $50, $100, $250 or whatever you can afford.

Thanks,

Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr.

P.S. I'm proud to stand with Nancy Jacobs as she faces off with a wildly liberal Pelosi foot soldier. It's critical that Republicans recapture this seat, because we urgently need Nancyfighting with me for our shared values. Thanks- Bob

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I did receive this. Now I'm not always the person with the perfect grammar and sentence structure, but I at least proofread my work and even correct it after I post it as required.

    Maybe I should hire myself out as a writer of these appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael: None of us is perfect, and I too find myself fixing things on my blog after I've posted them. It just seems to me that asking someone for money via an email riddled with errors is counterproductive. I worked for Ehrlich for a long time. Had I wrote/disseminated something like that, he would have kicked my ass if not outright fired me.

      Delete
  2. I do my best proofreading AFTER I hit "Send"...Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they should have done a "robocall" instead!

    ReplyDelete