Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Poll Is a Poll Is a Poll


I was very amused by one commenter to the story, who dismisses me as a “tea party” Republican because this piece includes some gentle criticisms of President Obama (even as I question the usefulness and validity of a poll which found him to be the worst president in the post-World War II era).  

I’m not going to go line by line though this rant, but I did want to make a few points.

First, I am now “Unaffiliated,” having changed my registration back in April 2013.

Second, in the past I have been called a “RINO” by people of the tea party persuasion, which tells me that I must be doing something right if both liberal and conservative extremists find offense in what I write.

Third, the commenter does what a lot of people on the left do: Cast aspersions on the intellectual depth or substance of someone with whom they disagree. This is a common tactic employed by people who are so blinded by partisan loyalty that they have lost the ability to hear the other side’s arguments. In other words, if they can’t hear it, the person making it must be intellectually deficient or incoherent.

Five hundred words isn’t a lot of space with which to make an argument, so – as far as the ranking of presidents is concerned – here is my top ten. My assessments have not changed since I made this list.

1 comment:

  1. "...the commenter does what a lot of people on the left do: Cast aspersions on the intellectual depth or substance of someone with whom they disagree."

    This practice is not confined to one side of the political spectrum, and you know that.

    ReplyDelete