Monday, September 15, 2014

Ehrlich and New Hampshire: Part II

The Washington Post’s Robert Costa wrote this blog piece about the Ehrlich campaign trip to New Hampshire.

You know, a bunch of us have for years been joking about a phase of the never ending Ehrlich comeback saga which featured a quixotic bid for the presidency. We even joked about poor ol’ Greg Massoni loping alongside Ehrlich across the Granite State’s landscape, playing the dutiful Sancho Panza to Ehrlich’s Don Quixote.

So, I was especially amused by this portion of Costa’s piece:

"Greg Massoni, a longtime Ehrlich confidant and political adviser who once served as Ehrlich’s gubernatorial spokesman, accompanied him from stop to stop."

So what’s happening here?

I think Ehrlich misses the political game.

I think it’s been difficult for him to watching the party nominate another gubernatorial standard bearer – one who, depending on which poll you believe, seems to be waging a competitive campaign. Since 2010, Ehrlich has asserted that, if he could not win back the governor’s mansion, no one can.

And, I think that Ehrlich and some of the people close to him dreamed up this New Hampshire jaunt as something of a consolation prize for him - kind of like giving a restless retiree something to do.

I respect Ehrlich wanting to have a national voice – every ambitious, competitive politician does. I just don’t think you need to go to New Hampshire to do it. The mere act of going there overshadows whatever message you hope to convey.

In 2010, I stated that candidate Ehrlich reminded me of Joe Louis during the final phase of his career, when he was past his prime and knocked out by Rocky Marciano. This New Hampshire trip evokes memories of Joe Louis when he was a greeter at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, now a curiosity rather than a contender.

Anyway, I’ll take a little credit for my prescience, even if it was borne out of an attempt to be funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment